[SciPy-dev] Supported Python versions?

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Fri Sep 30 09:31:53 EDT 2005

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, David M. Cooke wrote:

> Currently, INSTALL.txt says we support Python 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3 (and
> presumably 2.4 :). How useful is 2.1 and 2.2 support? Does anybody
> test on these? I'd say that 2.3 support is still important, but if no
> one's checking for 2.1 or 2.2 compatibility, should we bother claiming
> they're suppported?

The information in INSTALL.txt is out-of-date. It's header should
point to
   http://www.scipy.org/documentation/buildscipy.txt
that contains (at least in theory) up-to-date information on scipy
prerequisities. Right now these hold for scipy, not for scipy_core i.e.
Numeric3.

> Right now, for instance, scipy.base won't compile with 2.2.

Not surprising. I suggest supporting only Python 2.3 and up. It could be
certainly possible to support 2.2 but I, for instance, don't have
resources for it.

Pearu