[SciPy-dev] are arrays hashable?

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Tue Sep 20 11:15:52 EDT 2005

Alan G Isaac wrote:
> A function that used to work fine with SciPy arrays
> now chokes on the new scipy.base, claiming that
> the new arrays are an unhashable type.
>
> For illustration only:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> TypeError: unhashable type

Arrays were never hashable, nor should they be since they are mutable.
The problem here is that set() isn't recognizing the array as an
iterable. With a slightly old CVS checkout, I get

In [10]: from scipy.base import *

In [11]: d = array(10)

In [12]: set(d)
exceptions.TypeError                                 Traceback (most
recent call last)

/Users/kern/<console>

TypeError: iteration over non-sequence

In [13]: list(d)