[SciPy-dev] Scipy vs. Fedora Core 4

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Sep 14 12:45:22 EDT 2005

Stephen Walton wrote:

>>Despite the above, I think Ravi's patch should be incorporated into
>>Scipy.
>

> You know, I thought about this comment of mine overnight and decided
> it's silly.  i1mach, r1mach, and d1mach are fundamental to many of the
> Netlib routines which Scipy incorporates.  If gfortran won't compile
> them correctly, then you won't get the right answer and gfortran should
> not be used to build Scipy.
>
> Fedora Core 4 is feeling more and more like a beta to me.

To be honest, after seeing their head-first jump into gcc4/gfortran, without
looking if there was any water in the pool at all, I decided to stay behind a
little.  FC3 continues to be patched (yesterday they FINALLY fixed a 2-year
old kernel bug which prevented reliable access to USB storage devices), and
everything builds there.  Making a python2.4-based environment takes a bit of
extra work, but I'm mostly using 2.3 only so that's fine for me.

It seems to me that gcc4/gfortran are not really ready for production use, if
you want to spend your time doing work instead of chasing build/compile problems.

In a very selfish way, thank you for going first and getting the arrows on
your back ;)

Cheers,