[SciPy-dev] Question about 64-bit integers being cast to double precision

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Mon Oct 31 12:39:03 EST 2005

> I kind of like it too. I'm not to worried about the special usage case
> because controlling types in python is itself a special usage. I guess
> another question is why the indexing capability was originally added.

I'm not sure what you mean.   Perhaps  my wording was confusing.  There
is currently no indexing capability of ufunc objects.  But, because
ufuncs are Python types, we could add indexing capability to accomodate
a use such as this one.

Most likely the use case would return a special ufunc object that would
handle casting differently then the default.

-Travis