[SciPy-dev] Is "bool" the right name?

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Mon Oct 31 11:31:25 EST 2005

Trying to add some newcore compatibility to numarray,  I bowled through
the obvious name collision between the new numarray "bool" and the
Python scalar type "bool."   The name collision is easy enough to work
around in the numarray internals,  but it occurred to me that "bool8"
might be a better name since it is more explicit, consistent with the
other type names,  and clearly resolves the recurring question "Is this
a 1-bit bool or not?".

So,  while newcore is still young,  does it make sense to rename "bool"
to "bool8"?

Regards,
Todd