[SciPy-dev] newscipy and ATLAS

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Fri Oct 28 15:15:46 EDT 2005

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Pearu Peterson wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Arnd Baecker wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I tried to install newcore and newscipy on a different machine
> > and ATLAS is not detected.
> > The reason for this is that on this debian sarge box
> >
> >> dpkg -L atlas3-base
> > /.
> > /usr
> > /usr/lib
> > /usr/lib/libatlas.so.3.0
> > /usr/lib/libcblas.so.3.0
> > /usr/lib/libf77blas.so.3.0
> > /usr/lib/liblapack_atlas.so.3.0
> > /usr/lib/atlas
> > /usr/lib/atlas/libblas.so.3.0
> > /usr/lib/atlas/liblapack.so.3.0
> >
> > So there are no symbolic links from
> >  /usr/lib/libatlas.so  to /usr/lib/libatlas.so.3.0
> >
> > Would it be possible that scipy distutils also searches
> > for the .so.X.Y  ones - or would this lead to problems
> > in the linking stage?
>
> In principle it would be possible. However, users should install
> atlas3-base-dev package when building scipy themselfs. That's why *-dev
> packages are provided in the first place.

Fair enough - I thought the links were done already
on the atlas3-base level and that something has changed
in the transition to sarge.
In my case atlas3-sse2-dev was not installed,
which (BTW) clearly says

"""
This package includes the static libraries and symbolic links needed for
program development.
"""

> I guess only debian developers or packagers should build scipy against
> .so.X.Y libraries.

Alright, so I better don't do that ;-)
Many thanks for the clarification,

Arnd