[SciPy-dev] TypeError: __array_data__ must return a string providing the pointer to data

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Fri Oct 21 17:26:26 EDT 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:

>You still need the very latest CVS ... The array interface protocol had
>to change to support discontiguous arrays (and read-only) arrays.  These
>changes are only in the latest CVS versions of numarray and Numeric.

Sigh.  Unfortunately on the two Linux releases I'm using (Ubuntu and
Fedora Core 4), pygtk2 contains a dependency on Numeric and therefore
you're more-or-less forced to install the distros' version, currently at
23.8.  I know that's not up to you to fix, Travis!  But, hypothetically,
you're telling me that if I did forcibly install Numeric and numarray
from current CVS, that they would play nice with the new scipy core and
with matplotlib?

Steve