[SciPy-dev] Introductions, sparse matrix support

Robert Cimrman cimrman3 at ntc.zcu.cz
Mon Oct 17 06:27:24 EDT 2005

Jonathan Guyer wrote:
> On Oct 13, 2005, at 1:53 PM, Travis Oliphant wrote:
>

>>I'd happily welcome those extension types, but let's see if we can't
>>make them all subclasses of one base-class.   Look at how the scipy
>>sparse Python classes are layed out.  Basically, by defining a tocsc
>>and
>>fromcsc, all of them can be converted to each other and used as
>>solvers.
>

>>I did put some effort into the structure of scipy.sparse.   I did not
>>put any effort into optimizations, though.
>

> I think this is important. PySparse is neither very object oriented nor
> very "Pythonic". I think the API can be done much better [*] (and
> scipy.sparse may be it; I haven't had time yet to do anything practical
> with it). I don't mean to denigrate PySparse; we happily use it and
> Roman has been very open to our suggestions, I just think that we can
> learn from it and do better.

Then newscipy/Lib/sparse seems to be a good candidate to begin with. I
think that  first it is important to get it build & install (and work
;), then we can care about its performance. I have modified the
'Lib/sparse/setup_sparse.py', so that it compiles. Is it ok to post it
here? (don't have svn write access yet...) I am now only mildly familiar
with scipy variant of distutils, but it could be a starting point.

cheers,
r.