[SciPy-dev] sparse matrix support status

Robert Cimrman cimrman3 at ntc.zcu.cz
Mon Oct 10 04:17:10 EDT 2005

Jonathan Guyer wrote:
> On Oct 7, 2005, at 3:01 PM, Fernando Perez wrote:
>

>>it does seem that
>>pysparse offers extra capabilities beyond what scipy.sparse has, it
>>would be
>>nice (I think) to fold that into the new shiny scipy.
>

> True enough. Dan Wheeler and I would be willing to look into this. We
> presently use pysparse in FiPy because that's what we could figure out,
> particularly for iterative solvers, but it'd simplify our lives
> considerably if we could reduce our installation instructions to "Get
> SciPy. Get FiPy."
>
> Roman Geus has indicated to us that he's not interested in merging
> pysparse into a larger suite like SciPy; he prefers individually
> maintained small packages to large monolithic systems. He may have
> changed his mind about that, though, and regardless, pysparse is BSD
> licensed, so it's perfectly legal to use his code to improve
> scipy.sparse (assuming that rigorous benchmarking determines that there
> are, in fact, improvements to be made). We'll do some tests and, if a
> merge is warranted, we'll run it by Roman out of courtesy.

As Travis Oliphant wrote, I would like to help, too. So let me know if
you have a need for another hands in (as almost anybody, I did write my
own sparce matrix implementations in past). As a side-note, I would
really appreciate to see umfpack bindinds in scipy (if the umfpack
licence allows that, of course) - I have made some tests (admittedly a
long time ago) showing that, at least for my class of problems umfpack
performed much better than superlu via pysparse. (iterative solvers are
out of question for me.)

cheers,
r.