[SciPy-dev] sparse matrix support status

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Oct 7 15:01:44 EDT 2005

Jonathan Guyer wrote:
> On Oct 7, 2005, at 1:54 PM, Fernando Perez wrote:
>

>>Pysparse uses also SuperLU, so I'm not
>>exactly sure what the root cause of the discrepancy may be, and he
>>didn't
>>track it down further (he just switched over to using pysparse and
>>moved on).
>

> pysparse supports a number of different solvers (CGS, PCG, GMRES, JOR),
> not just LU. Most of them are much faster than LU, but often not as
> accurate.
>
> Or was he comparing LU to LU?

Dunno.  He did some quick tests, found better performance in pysparse and just
moved on (numerics is not directly his field, so he just needed something that
worked quickly, and once he found it he didn't look back).  But since that is
a normal attitude in most users (myself included), and it does seem that
pysparse offers extra capabilities beyond what scipy.sparse has, it would be
nice (I think) to fold that into the new shiny scipy.

Cheers,