[SciPy-dev] `newcore` on opteron

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Fri Oct 7 04:27:44 EDT 2005

Hi Travis,

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Travis Oliphant wrote:

> Arnd Baecker wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >just for the fun of it I wanted to test the thread aspect on
> >our dual opteron, but don't get very far in the installation:
>
> Thank you for these results.

That's the least I can do ;-)

> I'm not sure what is going on.  Are you sure your not picking up headers
> from somewhere else as well?

Well, you never know...
Is there a way to check this?

To be sure I started again (removing all dirs
and without any environment variables, which would
point to my install of "old scipy", including the gcc 3.4.4).
This means that now I am running with
gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: x86_64-suse-linux
Configured with: ../configure --enable-threads=posix --prefix=/usr
--with-local-prefix=/usr/local --infodir=/usr/share/info
--mandir=/usr/share/man --libdir=/usr/lib64 --libexecdir=/usr/lib64
--enable-languages=c,c++,objc,f95,java,ada --enable-checking
--with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.0.2 --enable-java-awt=gtk
--disable-libjava-multilib --with-slibdir=/lib64 --with-system-zlib
--enable-shared --enable-__cxa_atexit --without-system-libunwind
--host=x86_64-suse-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.0.2 20050826 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)

> I would be interested for example to see the file:
>
> scipy/base/src/__ufunc_api.h

 ./newcore/scipy/base/src/ does not contain this file,
but
 ./newcore/build/src/scipy/base/__ufunc_api.h
does
[ I send you the file off-list ]

> This file is autogenerated, and it could be that something is wrong there.
>
> Most likely it is a problem with the header.  See below...

[...]

> It's also possible that something I did recently messed up the
> ufuncobject.h header (I was playing with some threading issues ---
> (non-object-array) ufuncs are supposed to release the GIL to allow other
> Python threads to proceed.  I'll look into that.

OK, just let me know if you need any further information
or test runs etc.

Best,

Arnd