[SciPy-dev] Re: [Numpy-discussion] Purchasing Documentation

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Tue Oct 4 05:22:05 EDT 2005

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005, Travis Oliphant apparently wrote:
> I hope people can understand that the reality of scarcity
> dictates that we coordinate efforts through some
> mechanism.  The price mechanism has been the most
> succesful large-scale mechanism yet developed.

> I am interested in feedback.  If  you don't buy the book
> because you think I'm asking too much money, then let me
> know, as Tim has done.

I found this an interesting approach to supporting the
project.  I plan to buy the book when it is released.
Hmm, why wait?  I should put my money where my mouth is.
Just a moment ... ok, done.

I view the book as a *complement* to other documentation
that will appear and as a way to support the project.
I agree with Tim that freely accessible online documentation
will and must become available as well.  As Chris notes,
some of this can happen on the Wiki.

I also plan to ask our library to purchase the book, but
I am concerned that your statement that multiple users each
need their own copy might mean a library purchase is
forbidden.  I assume it did not mean that, and that you
just meant that making multiple copies is restricted.  (Our
library supports electronic book check out.)  Ruling out
library purchases would, I think, be a costly mistake for
many reasons, which I can list if you are interested.

Finally, I agree with Tim that seven years is too long and
at the price I'd hope for a paperback copy.  I think
a better strategy would be two years copy protection, with
an updated edition every two years.  (But then I am not
writing the code!)  The basic concept is really nice, as
long as it does not make it harder for you to
- fully document your code,
- smile on the free documentation that emerges, and
- keep your sunny disposition.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac