[SciPy-dev] [matplotlib-devel] Preliminary patch for the (new) scipy

Darren Dale dd55 at cornell.edu
Mon Nov 21 13:48:09 EST 2005

On Monday 21 November 2005 1:12 pm, Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Darren Dale wrote:
> >Sorry, I've obviously overlooked something, but maybe I have also
> > discovered a bug. I've just removed atlas/blas/lapack, updated scipy_core
> > from svn, removed my build and site-packages/scipy directories, and tried
> > to build scipy_core. Here is a warning message I get toward the end of
> > the build and install processes:
>
> This is definitely a configuration issue.  For some reason, the system
> is picking up BLAS information and therefore trying to compile _dotblas
> for you.   However, it is failing because the libblas file is not found.
>
> Can you show us the output of the start of the build (where SYSTEM INFO
> things are printed).  Or just attach a complete record of the build.
> This might help track down what the configuration issue is.

This was due to an oversight on my end. I used gentoo's package manager to
completely remove atlas/blas/lapack, and afterwards verified that every
instance of /usr/lib/libatlas.* had been removed. I did not check that
libblas.* and liblapack.* had been removed, but I should have. Unfortunately,
a few broken soft links remained, which scipy found and tried to build
against. After removing those links, I was able to build scipy_core. How
embarrassing. I'm sorry for the noise.

Darren