[SciPy-dev] Building scipy core on windows

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Wed Nov 16 17:07:25 EST 2005

Travis Brady wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd actually like to try compiling for 2.4 too, is this possible w/o
> Visual Studio (I am using Python 2.4.1 compiled with VS)?
> Maybe with MingW?

Yes, that's what I use.  Get MSYS and MinGW.  Download a binary version
of ATLAS if you want fast linear algebra.  If you don't care, then don't
worry about that part --- the code should still build.

Then, check out the latest SVN tree (Tortoise SVN is an excellent
windows SVN client that makes it easy).   The URL is
http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy_core/trunk

You should be able to go into the directory where you placed the tree
and type

python setup.py config --compiler=mingw32 build --compiler=mingw32 install

or

python setup.py config --compiler=mingw32 build --compiler=mingw32
bdist_wininst

to get an installable executable.

Alternatively, to avoid all the --compiler=xxxxx noise you can create
(or modify if you already have one) a distutils configuration file for
your version of Python.  The file name is

<your python director>\Lib\distutils\distutils.cfg

and the contents should contain

[build]
compiler = mingw32

[config]