[SciPy-dev] the public face of scipy.org (was Some Feedback)

Joe Harrington jh at oobleck.astro.cornell.edu
Wed Nov 16 15:09:37 EST 2005

I just did some tests on my own plone site
(http://oobleck.astro.cornell.edu/astro).  I get very different
behavior from that on scipy.org.  First, I don't have a growing
binary.  The size stays perfectly constant indefinitely.  Second, it
takes like 2 seconds for an edit to occur on the main pages (I don't
have zwiki installed, so I couldn't do a perfect test).  I suggest
that the memory and speed problems may be fixed in later versions of
plone than that on scipy.org.  That said, my load is low and, since
this is still a test site, traffic is basically nonexistent (though
I'm a little concerned that the URL above will make the site
"public" before it's ready!)

Here's what I'm running:

Plone-2.0.5
Zope-2.7.3-0

I've suggested to Joe C. that he might look into this (Joe, what
versions are you running?), though it may not be worth it if a switch
is to be made anyway.

I don't know how painful the plone upgrade process is, but certainly
no more painful than rebuilding the entire site, which is what we
contemplate anyway with a switch to another system.

My point is mainly that a switch for these reasons alone isn't
indicated.  We might still switch for other reasons.

--jh--