[SciPy-dev] Nifty matrix functions that others may find helpful

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Nov 16 01:57:27 EST 2005

Jonathan Taylor wrote:
> I have been looking for the indices function for a while without knowing
> that was the name I was looking for.  I am glad I finally found it.
> Following are two special cases (inspired by R) that I find immensely
> useful for getting row and column indices out of a matrix.  In
> particular I use them often to extract the upper triangle from a matrix
> via:

[...]

I was going to suggest dropping it into the plone site temporarily until the
move to a Moin setup is completed (if it is going to happen), but the plone
site is timing out.  I guess it's a good confirmation that we need something
else :)

At any rate, I think that a community cookbook is the right approach for this
kind of thing, and a wiki a good system to host it.  John has had good success
with the matplotlib cookbook hosted at scipy.org, and people regularly
contribute recipes to it.  Hopefully once we have a more functional wiki than
today, this will be one of the first things to go up.  It will also help all
of us see examples of how to transition old Numeric/SciPy code to the new system.

Cheers,