[SciPy-dev] the public face of scipy.org (was Some Feedback)

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu_r at users.sf.net
Mon Nov 14 02:29:54 EST 2005

    Andrew> I'm convinced Trac is the correct "hardhat area" for the
    Andrew> development of the scipy packages, but after reading the
    Andrew> ongoing discussion, I have a few points that I think are
    Andrew> in Moin's favor as the "public face" of scipy.org:

    Andrew> 2b) I believe it's likely that installing Moin will take
    Andrew>     less time than
    Andrew> figuring out the svn/login issue with Trac. (If we used
    Andrew> Moin for the public face, we wouldn't need
    Andrew> non-svn-commiters editing the Trac wiki, do we? Anonymous
    Andrew> non-logged-in users can still create new tickets, I
    Andrew> think.)

While I agree that MoinMoin is easy to setup and admin, my only issue
with MoinMoin is that upgrading versions usually requires running a
bunch of upgrade scripts.  My memories of the upgrade from 1.0 to
1.3.5 are not too pleasant.  That said, the upgrade scripts did work
and overall it has worked well for the mayavi wiki.  All of the wiki
data is spread over several files and this is sometimes a little
disconcerting from the admin/backup perspective.

    Andrew> 3) It would be really nice to be able to include images in
    Andrew>    wiki content,
    Andrew> for tutorials, for example. Does Trac let you do that,
    Andrew> including uploading the image? (I haven't seen any on any
    Andrew> Trac sites I've seen.  The docs
    Andrew> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy_core/wiki/WikiFormatting

Yes, inlined images are definitely doable with trac.  See here:

 http://www.enthought.com/enthought/wiki/TVTK

cheers,
prabhu