[SciPy-dev] Some Feedback

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Thu Nov 10 18:49:24 EST 2005

Andrew Straw wrote:
> In addition to Trac, we could consider MoinMoin [1] as the "public face"
> of scipy.org.  Let me declare immediately that I'm no Trac expert, so if
> Trac can do all of these things, great, and please ignore this
> suggestion. Reading the descriptions of Trac on this thread as well as
> my limited experience as a user is all that I'm going on here.

I kind of like Andrew's approach on this one, as in a sense it provides at the
website level an equivalence with the mailing lists:

Moin site <-> scipy-user list
Trac site <-> scipy-dev list

It can also mean that the -user site will have a bit more emphasis on polish
and information for newcomers, while the Trac one is much more technically
oriented, and it can be labeled a 'hard hat area'.  As long as both sites'
front pages prominently indicate their purpose and a link to the other for
those who end up in the wrong place by accident, this could be a nice solution.

While it seems like more work (two systems), in fact it may actually be less
in the long run (as long as moin is very easy to maintain).  Two
well-separated systems may be less work to manage than one hybrid trying to do
  two things.

In addition, this would allow each SVN repo (core/full, which Travis wants to
keep separate) to maintain its own Trac instance without confusing the users,
who can gather all the info they want from the unified Moin front.

Cheers,