[SciPy-dev] Infinite loop in machar.py

Ed Schofield schofield at ftw.at
Mon Nov 7 18:16:33 EST 2005

Hi Pearu,

I'm getting an infinite loop in machar.py when running newcore's long
double unit test:

check_singleton (scipy.base.getlimits.test_getlimits.test_longdouble)

on a G4 PPC.

I think the problem is with the "while 1" loop around line 123 under the
comment "Determine negep and epsneg" and that the break condition is never
true.

Compilation and all the level-1 tests are fine.

I'm using OS X 10.4 with the default gcc 4.0.0 and AltiVec libraries.

One of the Apple docs
(http://images.apple.com/macosx/pdf/MacOSX_UNIX_TB.pdf) states:

"In Tiger [10.4], long double always defaults to 16 bytes (128-bit
head-tail), compared with 8 bytes in Mac OS X Panther [10.3] and earlier
versions,"

and that this is true for both 32-bit and 64-bit processors.

Can I do anything else to shed more light on this problem?

Cheers,
Ed