[SciPy-dev] in-line graphics

Salsifis salsifis at free.fr
Mon May 2 06:11:22 EDT 2005

Dear Scipy developpers,
Thanks for the work on scipy and the related effort to bring scientific
computing solutions to open-source. I'm in the effort to translate my
MATLAB scripts into scipy and the learning curve is steep.
I particularly appreciate iPython (so this is perhaps OT on the scipy
ML) as a solution to have a researcher-friendly interface. A killer
(and that will convince many people around me still sticking to MATLAB)
would be to enable inline graphics, as was the case in mathematica.
This would be :
- a very good way to interact with your code (I love to use hist() to
know wehere my variables live),
- an easy way to create simple reports of results or to include in
paper to allow replication of results (export session to pdf)
- an  excellent way to produce tutorials for schools (as standalone .py
files)
Unfortunately, may coding abilities don't even permit me to gauge if
this feature is a snap to code or if it involves calling for mysterious
extra-human forces...
Also, I wish to stress that it's not a call for a "visual scipy" with a
lot of avoidable features (no offense to Matlab :) ) but just a simple
way to include in the same window a graphic ouput to a command-line
request...

Cheerts,
Laurent

exemple (inspired by travis' tutorial) :