[SciPy-dev] Re: [Numpy-discussion] Current thoughts on future directions

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Mon Mar 14 18:16:09 EST 2005

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2005, at 18:33, Stephen Walton wrote:
>

>> Is it really that hard to install g77 on non-Linux platforms?
>

> It takes some careful reading of the instructions...

I have to admit that I hadn't remembered the pain I went through
building gcc/g77 on HP-UX until Konrad reminded me.  He's right, it's
_really_ hard.  That said, when I was on HP-UX I never used g77, I used
HP's Fortran and ANSI C compilers.  So, when we talk about Fortran in
Scipy (and I've redirected this message to scipy-dev), for non-Linux
Unix platforms I think we mean supporting the vendor-provided
compilers.  And, since Enthought can't keep an in-house copy of every
variant, that means we'll be dependent on users of that platform to
report what doesn't work, and maybe even try to fix it.  The scripts for
supporting various compilers in Scipy are simple and easy to
understand.  I've messed with the Absoft one myself.