[SciPy-dev] Re: [SciPy-user] Current thoughts on future directions

eric jones eric at enthought.com
Wed Mar 9 23:41:45 EST 2005

Hey Travis,

It sounds like the Berkeley meeting went well.  I am glad that the
Numeric3 project is going well and looks like it has a good chance to
unify the Numeric/Numarray communities.  I really appreciate you putting
in so much effort intto its implementation.   I also appreciate all the
work by Perry, Todd, and the others at StSci have done building
Numarray.  We've all learned a ton from it.

Most of the plans sound right to me (several questions/comments below).
Much of SciPy has been structured in this way already, but we really
have never worked to make the core useful as a stand alone package.
Supporting lite and full versions of fft, linalg, and stats sounds
potentially painful, but also worthwhile given the circumstances.  Now:

1. How much of stats do we loose from removing fortran dependencies?

2. I do question whether weave really be in this core?  I think it was
in scipy_core before because it was needed to build some of scipy.

3. Now that I think about it, I also wonder if f2py should really be
there -- especially since we are explicitly removing any fortran
dependencies from the core.

4. I think keeping scipy a algorithms library and leaving plotting to
other libraries is a good plan.  At one point, the setup_xplt.py file
was  more than 1000 lines.  It is much cleaner now, but dealing with
X11, etc. does take maintenance work.  Removing these libraries from
scipy would decrease the maintenance effort and leave the plotting to
matplotlib, chaco, and others.

5. I think having all the generic algorithm packages (signal, ga, stats,
etc. -- basically all the packages that are there now) under the scipy
namespace is a good idea.  It prevents worry about colliding with other
peoples packages.  However, I think domain specific libraries (such as
astropy) should be in their own namespace and shouldn't be in scipy.

thanks,
eric