[SciPy-dev] Re: [SciPy-user] Re: Future directions for SciPy in light of meeting at Berkeley

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 9 12:31:06 EST 2005

    Prabhu> Do you already have the top level document that guides the
    Prabhu> new user through this 15 minute drill?  If you don't,
    Prabhu> would it help if I took a stab at it?  I often find that a
    Prabhu> top level document of this form helps us fill in the
    Prabhu> blanks.

Fernando and I have been working on such a beast.  We took the plunge
after agreeing to teach an all day seminar on scientific computing in
python, and typed up a course document starting with an introduction
to python that used scientific examples to illustrate python concepts
(eg complex numbers to introduce attributes) and will eventually cover
numstar, matplotlib, ipython, scipy, VTK, mayavi, traits, wrapping and
some GUI stuff.  We have draft chapters for the intro, ipython,
matplotlib and VTK so far.

It's too rough and incomplete now for distribution, but we hope to
have something useful in insert-time-interval-here :-)

JDH