[SciPy-dev] Compilation success with gfortran and gcc 4.0, but

Ravikiran Rajagopal rrajagopal at ati.com
Tue Jun 28 14:57:18 EDT 2005

Hi,
  I finally managed to compile SciPy CVS on Fedora Core 4 with gcc 4.0.0 and
gfortran. I did not use the "old" g77 that is shipped with Fedora Core 4 for
compatibility purposes. The following is the list of changes I needed:

scipy_distutils/gnufcompiler.py
1. Add gfortran to the search list for fortran compilers.
2. Add libgfortran to the search list for g2c.
3. Remove the sse2 optimization flag.

Lib
1. Replace Hollerith constants with quoted strings in odepack and quadpack;
I used Fortran Tidy to do it.
2. In dqage.f, make sure 260 refers to the last line.
3. Hack the logic in the conjugate gradient methods so as not jump into the
middle of a block. My changes should be viewed with extreme suspicion since
I have never programmed seriously in Fortran and the last time I dabbled in
it (for a few days) was in 1993 or 1994.

While everything compiles, there are still runtime errors. The tests in
scipy.special are a disaster. I recompiled everything with gcc 4.0.0 but
with g77 from gcc 3.2.3 (which required none of the modifications above) and
the same errors persist. Several of the tests (check_assoc_laguerre,
chack_cheby*, check_gegenbauer, etc.) take 100% and do not return even after
several hours. The numpyio todense() error is also found. Anyone have any
ideas about fixing this?

Regards,
Ravi