[SciPy-dev] Roadmap for scipy

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Fri Jun 17 23:51:51 EDT 2005

Charles Harris wrote:
> I've done the Mersenne Twister using boost. With some work, this could probably
> be brought to a form that would work in SciPy. Suggestion on what you would like
> to see are welcome.

A non-Boost form would be preferable.  :-)

Seriously, Boost would be YABuildDependency that probably won't fit very
well into the current build process.

I would suggest using the C code from the standard library. The seed
should be settable from a Python int or long as in the standard library,
but it should also allow seeding from some kind of array to utilize the
full 624*4 bytes of state. The coverage of distributions (gamma, beta,
multivariate_normal, etc.) should be the same such that the new module
can plug in seamlessly.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu