[SciPy-dev] install problems, SUSE, check_heev

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Thu Feb 3 12:20:22 EST 2005

Hi Pearu,

many thanks for your reply - things are fine now, see below.

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Pearu Peterson wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Arnd Baecker wrote:
>
> > BTW (Pearu), I did not change LAPACK/make.inc
> > in this case (because I used the source code variant) - is it right
> > that scipy takes care of the flags in this case?
>
> Yes. Scipy does not make any use of LAPACK/make.inc, it just compiles .f
> files to liblapack_src.a and uses it when linking an extension module.
>
> > ((Or should I better compile LAPACK directly,
> > as described in scipy's INSTALL.txt
> >       cd /path/to/src/LAPACK
> >       make lapacklib    # On 400MHz PII it takes about 15min.
> > and play around with the flags as you described
> > in your previous mail?
>
> Yes, I'd choose this approach. So, replace the line
>
>    OPTS     = -funroll-all-loops -fno-f2c -O3
>
> in make.inc with
>
>    OPTS     = -funroll-all-loops -O2
>
> and proceed with
>
>    make lapacklib
>    mv lapack_LINUX.a libflapack.a
>    export LAPACK=/path/to/libflapack.a

I did this and there are no erros for scipy.test(10)!

> Also, don't read INSTALL.txt :), read
>
>    http://www.scipy.org/documentation/buildscipy.txt

humpf, you even wrote that at the beginning of INSTALL.txt
(I completely overlooked that ;-)

> instead. Detailed instructions for building ATLAS for Scipy can be
> found here:
>
>    http://www.scipy.org/documentation/buildatlas4scipy.txt

There are indeed very detailed - I will try that part tomorrow.

BTW, would a  "use -O3" (just for the lapack part)
be of interest to you?

Many thanks for your help,

Arnd