[SciPy-dev] Reviewing scipy.test package

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Wed Dec 21 03:20:54 EST 2005

Hi,

We have scipy.test package that currently contains only two modules:
testing.py and auto_test.py.

testing.py is widely used in scipy test sites.

auto_test.py is rather old and does not work without serious review. It
is tempting to remove it from scipy core svn but it has some interesting
ideas. This raises a general question:

   Shall we clean scipy up or should we keep
   old-interesting-but-not-working codes for future ideas?

There is also a name conflict with scipy.test. When importing scipy,
scipy.test module is overwritten with ScipyTest.test method. To resolve
this conflict, either the name of the module or the method needs to be
changed. I see two options:
1) rename ScipyTest.test -> ScipyTest.runtest or similar
2) rename scipy.test -> scipy.testing

People are used to run scipy.test(), so I am inclined to applying the
option (2). Any objections?

Pearu