[SciPy-dev] empty_like/zeros_like don't preserve Fortran-ness

Christopher Stawarz chris at pseudogreen.org
Mon Dec 19 16:08:03 EST 2005

Hi,

Just  a small bug to report:  When given a Fortran-contiguous array as
input, the empty_like and zeros_like functions return a C-contiguous
array:

 >>> a = array([[1,2,3],[4,5,6]], fortran=True)
 >>> isfortran(a)
True
 >>> b = empty_like(a)
 >>> isfortran(b)
False
 >>> c = zeros_like(a)
 >>> isfortran(c)
False

I tested this on scipy_core 0.8.4, but I see the same problem in the
code in SVN.  The problem is that both functions first call asanyarray
with default arguments, which includes fortran=False.  I'm not sure
what the right way to fix this is, but it does seem like asarray and
asanyarray should preserve the memory layout of existing arrays.

Thanks,
Chris