[SciPy-dev] Scipy.org

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Sat Dec 17 13:41:15 EST 2005

Joe -- fantastic ideas. I've taken this opportunity to convert
http://astraw.com/scipy (aka http://scipy.astraw.com ) from a
kick-Moin's-tires into the "staging area" suggested. (If I could set up
new.scipy.org, I would...) I've also used Mark K's ideas about using
sinorca4moin as the default theme.

I haven't set up the site structure "for real" yet (with, for example,
what Joe suggests) because this decision will be with us for a long time
and I want to make sure we get some consensus on this. (There is
currently some site structure in the staging area -- I copied it blindly
from the current scipy.org when I set up that site and should be
ignored.) When we decide on the "top-level" pages, I will edit the moin
configuration file to have those placed in the navigation strip.

Now, for my personal opinions about Joe's overall layout: I would prefer
taking a "portal to the universe of Python software for scientific
computing" approach, with scipy_core and full scipy being locally hosted
and emphasized players in that universe. As such, I'd prefer an
organization more like the following.

        sidebar with brief news summary
News
        (e.g. scipy_core and full scipy nearing end of heaving
re-structuring)
Getting started
        simple demos using scipy_core and matplotlib, for example
        pointers to individual packages, both scipy and external
Screenshots
        made with matplotlib and scipy_core and/or full scipy
        made with MayaVi
        made with raw VTK
        benchmarks from 64 CPU 64 bit Itanium system
scipy_core
        About
        Installation
        Intro demos
        Download page with links to source and binary releases
        Documentation
        Info about svn, link to Trac
(full) scipy
        About
        Installation
        Intro demos
        Download page with links to source and binary releases
        Documentation
        Info about svn, link to Trac
Cookbook
        we should
        think about
        some organization
        for code receipes
Download
        point to (or include) scipy_core/Download and scipy/Download