[SciPy-dev] [Numpy-discussion] Thoughts on making it easier for numarray users to transition to scipy_core

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 02:07:44 EST 2005

Arnd Baecker wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Travis Oliphant wrote:
>
>>Robert Kern wrote:

[This bit got snipped. Me:]
Let's work on making each subpackage in full scipy a "separately downloadable
scipy_core addon."

>>This is my preferred approach and I think we are almost there with the
>>current scipy (minus a few inter-dependent addons).
>
> Does this also mean that a user will be able to  install
>   - scipy core to one place
>   - full scipy to some other place
> and just add both placees to PYTHONPATH?
>
> This would be very helpful for parallel installations making

Only if we require a recent setuptools to be installed. Neither scipy_core nor
scipy would have to be built as eggs, but pkg_resources would have to be
available. I think the .egg-info metadata would also have to be present.

Of course, if we do that, then we can also use that metadata to collect
docstrings and unit test locations in a robust way.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com

  -- Richard Harter