[SciPy-dev] problem with linalg.cholesky?

Andrew Jaffe a.h.jaffe at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 07:55:19 EST 2005

Hi All,

OK, drilling down a bit further... The problem lies in the use of
scipy.transpose() in _castCopyAndTranspose, since transpose() makes a
contiguous, non-Fortran array into a non-contiguous fortran array (since
it appears that at present it doesn't copy, just makes a new view). One
solution is just to actually copy the array. The other function,
_fastCopyAndTranspose(), seems to work fine in this situation, but I'm
not sure how and why this differs from _castCopyAndTranspose (in
particular, it doesn't seem to set the Fortran flag).

[However, the cholesky decomposition only makes sense for a symmetric
(or Hermitian) array, so, if we're not changing the type, for real
matrices really all we need to do is the cast and copy; for complex
matrices we need to transpose (not hermitian conjugate since we really
want to change the ordering), but this is equivalent to just taking the
complex conjugate of every element, which must be faster than copying.
If we are changing the type, I assume the speed difference isn't as
important.]

Any ideas on what the best change(s) would be?

Andrew