[SciPy-dev] Re: Scipy-dev Digest, Vol 22, Issue 8

Greg Novak novak at ucolick.org
Wed Aug 31 21:01:16 EDT 2005

>> With things like Enthon out there that act as the "batteries included
>> super distribution" anyway.  It makes me wonder if we shouldn't move
>> scipy to the "scipy-modules" perspective directly and develop and
>> think about scipy has a collection of modules that work together
>> smoothly (i.e. naming conventions, etc.)

Everyone agrees that Scipy should be easy to install, so I'm sure that
whatever happens, installation will at least continue to get easier.

However, I would like to point out that (at least as far as I can see)
Enthon is Windows only, so (IMO) it shouldn't be advanced as a possible
solution for users who want all the extras.  At least not until (if) it's
available on more platforms.

I recently suffered a hard disk crash, and I can say that getting Scipy
reinstalled was quite nerve racking for me, in spite of long experience
with software installations in general.  My problems surrounded undefined
symbols in Fortran code.  Granted, the situation is made worse by the
simultaneous switch to GCC 4.0 that most major distributions seem to be
making at the same time.

In any case, the problems were severe enough that I switched from Fedora
to Debian because there were pre-packaged Scipy binaries, so I could
finally start using the code that I'd written once more.

Cheers,
Greg