[SciPy-dev] Pre-release fixes

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Thu Sep 30 23:41:08 EDT 2004

Robert Kern wrote:

> I've just checked in a fix for fastumath's logical functions. They
> used to give wrong answers on OSX and caused some tests to fail. I
> believe this to be an endianness issue, but I don't have another
> big-endian machine to test on. All tests still pass on Athlon/Linux.
>
> The changes made largely track what Numeric did, so I'm not sure if
> these were conscious deviations to speed up fastumath or just a
> failure to keep up with the bugfixes in Numeric.
>
> I have only implemented fastumath_unsigned.inc as yet. I will make
> similar changes in fastumath_nounsigned.inc as I accumulate tuits.
>
> Travis, could you check my changes to make sure I didn't revert
> differences you deliberately made? If they were deliberate, then we
> need to figure a way to revert to the correct, if slower, Numeric
> implementations on the Mac.

I'm not sure what the problem is here.  But I think you undid deliberate
changes that have implications for alter_numeric() and need to be
discussed.

I had intentially made the results of all logical operations be unsigned
bytes.  What was broken about this on the Mac?

Could you explain your changes here, better?

-Travis