[SciPy-dev] MCMC, Kalman Filtering, AI for SciPy?

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Thu Sep 30 11:12:16 EDT 2004

On Sep 30, 2004, at 3:40 AM, eric jones wrote:
> I don't like the replication idea very well.  I think things should
> live in one place.  Otherwise people will wonder if two functions that
> are actually the same have different purposes, implementation, etc.

I agree with this sentiment. Use the search tool to find out where the
one "true" item lives,
but don't use aliasing within the package hierarchy.
> I used to love "from xxx import *" and swore it was the right way to
> handle Numeric, etc. since I few "array" and friends as builtin
> functions...  I guess I've been hanging out with to many computer
> scientists lately.  Or perhaps it is the few times where I have
> wondered "where is function xxx [which is broken] coming from?" and
> struggled through a large codebase to track it down.  We've had a
> nasty bug or two where one import * unexpectedly clobbered some
> functions from a previous import *.  In any case, it is a (seldom
> broken) policy to never use import * in our code bases at Enthought.
> It is probably a good idea to apply this same policy to SciPy.  Doing
> so would partially solve the problem you discuss.

This seems like a good idea as well. I don't see anything wrong with
using
something like:

import numarray as na

to make the code (and particularly expressions) more concise. It still
prevents the above
mentioned problems.