[SciPy-dev] MCMC, Kalman Filtering, AI for SciPy?

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Wed Sep 29 16:53:00 EDT 2004

Charles Harris wrote:

[snip]

> Just to continue the naming discussion, here are the GAM categories:

A plaintext version is here:

http://gams.nist.gov/Classes.plain

I would suggest checking this file into the docs (renamed to
GAMS-Classes.txt or something else more descriptive) and, for now,
adding GAMS classification information to docstrings where appropriate.

For example, scipy.special.kelvin would have at the bottom of its docstring

GAMS Classifications:
     C10c. Kelvin functions

And scipy.special would have

GAMS Classifications:
     C. Elementary and special functions
     C10c. Kelvin Functions

where ... is the union of all the GAMS classifications of all the other
functions in scipy.special . Perhaps "C10. Bessel functions" should be
in there, too, along with the other intermediate level classifications
that apply. It's a judgement call.

I'll just chip in my two cents now and agree with Perry and others that
organizing the source tree according to GAMS is probably no better than
an attempt to organize conscientiously. Search is a much better way to
find what one is looking for (c.f. Google).

Is it worth devising an inverted index search for scipy docstrings? Or
should we just punt to CHM? I would note that the less I have to switch
out of IPython, the happier I am.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu