[SciPy-dev] MCMC, Kalman Filtering, AI for SciPy?

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Tue Sep 28 13:59:04 EDT 2004

Perry Greenfield schrieb:

> I have a feeling that no matter what classification system is used, so
> long as it
> is purely hierarchical people are going to expect to find an item in
> another area.
> Some things naturally associate with more than one category. Picking a
> good system
> is important, but alone is unlikely to eliminate user frustration in
> finding things.

This is true, and an inherent problem of _any_ hierarchical system.  However,
I think that as much as in the unix world symlinks help alleviate some of this
in file management, we can use the fact that python names are lightweight
bindings to our advantage.  For things which can truly be expected to live in
more than one place, judicious use of:

scipy.foo.bar = scipy.otherfoo.bar

can make life easy, if it's equally reasonable for users to expect bar to be
under foo and under otherfoo.

I don't think the library names should be mercilessly duplicated everywhere,
but something like this can really help in a few places.  Obviously, a good,
searchable, cross-referenced documentation is a key part of the soultion to
this problem, as you mention.

Cheers,