[SciPy-dev] MCMC, Kalman Filtering, AI for SciPy?

Charles Harris charles.harris at sdl.usu.edu
Tue Sep 28 13:54:01 EDT 2004

Travis Oliphant wrote:

> [...]
>>>

>>> How about in monte_carlo or some such? I think there is too much
>>> stuff put in odd places. Why is zeros in optimize? Makes no sense,
>>> but there it is.  I don't think now is the time to change all the
>>> directories around, but I hope we give some thought to the
>>> organization before it becomes unmanageable. The Dewey decimal
>>> classification was an achievement I am coming to appreciate.
>>

>> I agree that tools provided by Scipy are not organized well with
>> respect to the mathematical subject that they deal with and so
>> finding the needed tool for some specific task may not be always
>> easy. And I agree that this issue should be tackled as early stage as
>> possible in Scipy evolution, otherwise it will get more and more
>> difficult to decide where to put contributions from the society and
>> there is a danger of postponing such decisions to an unreachable
>> future..
>>
>> The current organization of Scipy packages is mostly based on underlying
>> Fortran/C libraries and that is obviously not the best way to organize
>> any high-level scientific tool.
>>
>> While Chuck mentioned Dewey decimal classification then there are other
>> classification schemes available. For example, MSC
>> (http://www.ams.org/msc/). A nice overview of MSC can be found in
>>   http://www.math.niu.edu/~rusin/known-math/index/index.html
>>
>> I don't know how well could these classification schemes be used
>> for organizing Scipy packages, may be we should take a look how
>> Matlab or Maple or Mathematica deal with organizing their tools.
>>
>>> From the maintenance point of view, IMHO, wrappers to external
>>> Fortran/C
>>

>> libraries should be refactored from scipy packages to some "lib"
>> package. For example, there would be packages like
>>
>>   scipy.lib.blas
>>   scipy.lib.lapack
>>   scipy.lib.fftpack
>>   scipy.lib.minpack
>>   scipy.lib.cephes
>>   scipy.lib.odepack
>>   scipy.lib.quadpack
>>   scipy.lib.fitpack
>>   scipy.lib.minpack
>>   scipy.lib.superlu
>>   scipy.lib.amos
>>   scipy.lib.cdflib
>>   etc
>>

> I like this idea too.
> Right now, we have just been putting the library interfaces in the
> same top-level domain as the packages, but I think it does make more
> sense to put them in a .lib sub-package which other top-level routines
> can then call.
>
> I like this naming discussion.  We have not had enough of it in the
> past. I guarantee the names and divisions that Pearu, I and Eric have
> chosen have been more out of convenience and "getting something"
> working then any great thought.  I agree we should do this sooner than
> later.  And I think we should move to SVN too.
>
> I think it would be wise to use some sort of standard convention.
> Something like MSC is good, or the NIST classification GAMS.

I looked at MSC and GAMS. From a purely mathematical view  MSC is nice,
but a
bit too high level, though it would be nice if lattices and control were
part of GAMS. I
think GAMS would be the best fit. A few caveats: we might want to expand
or modify the subclassifications, Data seems sort of a catchall, and
where would such
things as equivalence relations go (Data?). One virtue of such a
classification scheme
is that it highlights areas that need to be addressed.