[SciPy-dev] Re: [Fwd: Scipy topical software wiki]

Janet Swisher swisher at enthought.com
Fri Oct 22 14:28:50 EDT 2004

picalPages
does not exist but a search turned up the AstroPy page.

The name of this page got changed after the initial announcement was sent
out. Sorry about that. This URL should work:
http://www.scipy.org/wikis/topical_software

>I have corrected the mailing list info and made a few minor edits, but
there are several I'd like to see resolved before making this the official
AstroPy page:

>* Cosmetic glitches:
>
>- Many words have question marks after them. Based on my limited wiki
experience and some testing, it seems that the wiki *THINKS* these words
*SHOULD* be links to other pages, and is "helpfully" generating "you could
add a page here" links. How do I stop this? (Sigh. I thought only Microsoft
went in for this level of fake pseudo-helpful
>intelligence.)

The wiki thinks any word in CamelCaps is a potential link. You can escape
words by putting "!" in front of them. I'll look into whether it's possible
to declare words that should be globally escaped (like "SciPy").

>- All my html links have too much space before them. How can I fix this?

Are you using a text-based browser? If not, you should see little icons
before most links, such a globe for web addresses, a page for FTP addresses,
etc. I think that is the cause of the "extra" space.

>* Documentation (which would probably allow me to fix the first two):
>
>The SciPy wiki site seems to be missing documentation on the format used
for SciPy wiki pages. Thus not only am I flying blind, but anyone else who
edits this page will also be doing so. That gives me the heebie-jeebies.

The SciPy.org wikis use Zwiki (http://zwiki.org/). You can use Structured
Text, ReStructured Text, HTML, or plain text for pages. These chapters of
the Zwiki User Guide are most likely to be useful to users:
http://zwiki.org/Chapter03BasicUsage
http://zwiki.org/Chapter04Editing

I'll add links to the Zwiki docs to the ASP and Topical SW wikis.

--Janet