[SciPy-dev] Accessible SciPy (ASP) project

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Tue Oct 19 15:14:57 EDT 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, eric jones apparently wrote:
> I'm sorry you don't like it.

That is really not my objection, although
of course everyone has preferences.

If Numeric and numarray were to adopt the
SciPy convention, I would be perfectly
satisfied.  (It seems hard to go that
direction.)

Or, if SciPy provided its own names and
used its own convention, instead of
over-riding Numeric (or numarray) names,
I would also be happy.  Especially if
SciPy names were readily identifiable
as such.  (Of course, one can always
be careful on one's own, but relying on
users to be careful is generally a bad
idea when it is avoidable.)

The issue is consistency.

Can you find me a SciPy user who never uses
Numeric or numarray directly?  Unless this
is most of SciPy users, conflicting defaults
for the same function names will eventually
lead someone to make a terrible mistake.

I intend that claim to be too obvious to
require justification; is it?

Cheers,
Alan Isaac