[SciPy-dev] Accessible SciPy (ASP) project

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Tue Oct 19 00:50:07 EDT 2004

Alan G Isaac wrote:

> ii. axes:
> the current SciPy change of the default axes from
> the Numeric and numarray defaults is a sure source
> of confusion to new users, who are likely to be
> relying on the Numeric manual supplemental SciPy guidance!
> Please make SciPy adopt the Numeric and numarray
> axes conventions and avoid needless confusion here.

1. Neither Numeric nor numarray have a consistent axis convention to adopt.

2. The only function defined by Numeric that gets overridden by scipy
and has an axis argument different is cumsum. scipy's cumsum is
consistent with the axis convention chosen for scipy.

3. Numeric's documentation is incorrect wrt axis defaults for a couple
of functions in any case.

I'm willing to entertain the suggestion that scipy's cumsum should be
renamed so as to not override Numeric's (as scipy's prod and cumprod are
named so as to not override Numeric's product and cumproduct).

> iii. matrices:
> I can see no reason for matrix objects not to
> have many more attributes.  Why should a new
> user look for linalg.det(A) instead of just
> being able to say A.det?  Similarly for many
> linear algebra actions on matrices, esp.
> decompositions.  SciPy can change the packages
> it relies on for these services at will, as
> long as users get a stable interface in
> the matrices themselves.

The main reason is likely that no one has stepped up to implement,
document, and test these attributes. Write up a patch, submit it to the
issue tracker <URL:http://www.scipy.net/roundup/scipy/index>, and assign
the issue to me (rkern).

--
Robert Kern