[SciPy-dev] CVS build just failed

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Tue Oct 12 00:58:29 EDT 2004

Pearu Peterson wrote:

> For some reason g77 is used for Fortran 77 codes and ifc for Fortran 90
> codes, and the compiler flags get mixed up. Such a situation should not
> happen normally as whenever you specify Fortran compiler to be ifc, it
> should be used both for Fortran 77 and 90 codes.
> How did you specified fortran compilers? What command line are you using
> for building scipy?
> The correct way to specify ifc is:
>
>    python setup.py config_fc --fcompiler=intel build

Mmh, weird.  This is on a new freshly installed machine, but a friend's.  I'm
not sure how his environment variables were set up; I simply typed

python setup.py build

without specifying anything else.  Is it normal for scipy_distutils to pick up
mixed compilers in this case?  I guess I can use the line you suggested and
just build everything with g77.  Could it be that this user's environment was
set up in a way which confused distutils?  He's not (yet) a python user, so I
don't know how much f2py-specific setup he might have in his home account, but
perhaps there was some leftover crud from some old project.

Which environment variables should I look for which could cause this?  Besides
getting it to work (which I can do with your suggestion above), I'd like to
make sure that for a fresh new user something like this can't accidentally
happen.  This is the kind of error which tends to discourage new users, so if
a bit of additional instructions can prevent it, we can add that to the info
on the website.

Many thanks for your help!

Best,