[SciPy-dev] Matrix Structure Plots in scipy ?

Nils Wagner nwagner at mecha.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Oct 6 08:06:00 EDT 2004

Pearu Peterson wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Nils Wagner wrote:
>
>> The number of outputs is more than described in help (io.mmio)
>>

>>   mmread(source)
>>       Reads the contents of the Matrix Market file 'filename' into
>> the matrix 'A'.
>>
>>       Inputs:
>>
>>         source    - Matrix Market filename (extension .mtx) or open
>> file object.
>>
>>       Outputs:
>>
>>         a         - sparse or full matrix
>>
>> Actually
>>
>> b,m,n,s = mmread('young1c')
>>
>> should be used.
>

> Since the values for m,n,s are available via mminfo then I have
> changed the signature of mmread to
>
>   a = mmread(source)
>
> Btw, one can now also write sparse matrices using mmwrite.

Is it also possible, that mmread returns sparse matrices when reading
sparse matrices from *.mtx ?

Is it generally possible to switch between sparse and dense format of
matrices
in scipy ?

Now, scipy has some iterative solvers for linear systems. Can I use both
dense and sparse matrices with respect to cg,... ?

How about sparse eigensolvers in scipy e.g. ARPACK ?

Nils