[SciPy-dev] building lib.lapack without optimization

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Tue Nov 30 06:40:48 EST 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Nils Wagner wrote:

> Pearu Peterson wrote:
>
>> Now try
>>
>>   rm -rf build
>>   python setup_lapack.py build config_fc --noarch
>>
>> This will use -O3 optimization but without architecture dependent
>> optimization flags.
>>
>> Does it work?
>>
> No, the same failures as before (with python setup_lapack.py build)

Ok, now try to reduce optimization level:

rm -rf build
python setup_lapack.py build config_fc --noarch --opt="-O2"

If that fails, then try --opt="-O", etc.

If you have found working optimization level, then remove --noarch flag to
see if architecture dependent flags are OK.

The goal is to find optimization flags for the given compiler
(i) that can be coded into scipy_distutils/gnufcompiler.py
(ii) and to use these optimization flags for building Fortran LAPACK
libraries needed for ATLAS.

>> What gcc version are you using?

> gcc version 3.3.3 (SuSE Linux)

Btw, I am using gcc 3.3.5 (Debian Sid) with no problems.

Pearu