[SciPy-dev] Accessible SciPy (ASP) project

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Mon Nov 1 05:05:24 EST 2004

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, Robert Kern wrote:

> Pearu Peterson wrote:
>
>>> 2. determine whether IPython should go into the core,
>>
>> I am using it on dayly basis, so +1 from me.
>
> How exactly is this supposed to work? An IPython package under scipy_core?
>
> If so, what is the benefit? The only one that I can see is that when you
> install scipy_core, you also install IPython. I don't see this being much
> more useful than putting the IPython download link right next to scipy's on
> the download page.
>
> IPython seems to be orthogonal to scipy. I'd be -1 on making IPython depend
> on scipy or scipy_core. IPython's potential audience is much wider than
> scipy's. Looking the other way, I don't think scipy would benefit much from
> having IPython as part of it. Perhaps when IPython gets rewritten to be a
> more flexible library for building interactive environments, then it would
> make some sense to bundle IPython into scipy.

Ironically, as a generic Linux user, I was thinking more of MS Windows
users for whom installing packages separately rather than in all-in-one
package is a big obstacle that sometimes overweights the inconvienince
to ship the all-in-one package.

But orthogonality is a good point, I wish we could use it more in
current Scipy packages. I withdraw my +1.

Pearu