[SciPy-dev] help and delayed import (once more)

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Fri Mar 19 06:46:11 EST 2004

Hi,

I hope I am not annoying you with this, but there is
one open issue with the delayed importer:

Starting in a fresh python session
  >>> help("scipy.linalg")
gives
      Help on instance of _ModuleLoader in scipy:
      scipy.linalg = <module 'scipy.linalg' from
'/opt/python/lib/pyt...e-packages/scipy/linalg/__init__.pyc' [imported]>

Whereas
  >>> import scipy
  >>> help("scipy.linalg")
is okay.

Though in most cases the user will already have done
an import of scipy or one of its modules, the
above behaviour might be confusing.
(Is it also problematic for doc-string extracting tools ?)

There is one more thing I would like to say:
_Many_ thanks to you, Pearu and Travis, for all your help and fixes!

Best Arnd