[SciPy-dev] building lib.lapack without optimization

Nils Wagner nwagner at mecha.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Dec 1 02:53:48 EST 2004

Pearu Peterson wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Nils Wagner wrote:
>
>>> Also, if your lapack libraries are built with -O3 then rebuilding
>>> them with -O2 should fix the segmentation faults.
>>>
>> This is my make.inc. So, I will  replace
>>
>> OPTS = -funroll-all-loops -fno-f2c -O3
>>
>> with
>>
>> OPTS = -funroll-all-loops -fno-f2c -O2
>>
>> Is that o.k. ?
>

> Yes.
>
> Pearu

First of all,  I have rebuild my lapack library with -O2.

Secondly, I have installed ATLAS from scratch.
 From my ATLAS directory, issue :

   make killall arch=ARCH
   make startup arch=ARCH
   make install arch=ARCH

Then I build a complete lapack library

ATLAS does not provide a full LAPACK library. However, there is a simple
way to get ATLAS to provide its faster LAPACK routines to a full LAPACK
library. ATLAS's internal routines are distinct from LAPACK's, so it is
safe to compile ATLAS's LAPACK routines directly into a netlib-style
LAPACK library. First, download and install the standard LAPACK library
from the LAPACK homepage <http://www.netlib.org/lapack>. Then, in your
ATLAS/lib/ARCH directory (where you should have a liblapack.a), issue
the following commands:

  mkdir tmp
  cd tmp
  ar x ../liblapack.a
  cp <your LAPACK path & lib> ../liblapack.a
  ar r ../liblapack.a *.o
  cd ..
 rm -rf tmp

Again, scipy.test() failed with a segmentation fault. Am I missing
something ?

Nils