[SciPy-dev] Python interface to COBYLA

Tom Loredo loredo at astro.cornell.edu
Thu Apr 15 11:38:33 EDT 2004

> So, unless there is an important reason to convert to C (dynamic memory
> llocation for example), I would think it is better to keep Fortran code
> in Fortran when possible.

One reason is that Mac OS 9 users don't have a free FORTRAN compiler to
use.  This has thwarted my use of scipy in the past.  I've pretty much
switched to OS X now.  There one can get g77 via the Fink project.
It's too bad it's not in the Apple Developer Tools (not sure about the
latest version...) since it places one more obstacle in the path of Mac
users wanting to use scipy.

-Tom