[SciPy-dev] Re: build_flib.py again

Berthold Höllmann hoel at gl-group.com
Wed Oct 29 04:25:25 EST 2003

Pearu Peterson <pearu at scipy.org> writes:

> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, [iso-8859-15] Berthold Höllmann wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> May I ask, what is the rationale for the changes for the swithches in
>> the 'compaq_visual_fortran_compiler' class between CVS version 1.80
>> and today's head. The old ones (working for me were) (line 1527):
>>
>>         switches = ' /nologo /MD /W1
> /iface:cref /iface=nomixed_str_len_arg '
>>
>> in current head I find (not working for me) (line 1537-1539):
>>
>>         switches = ' /nologo /nodebug /MD /WX '\
>>                    ' /iface=(cref,nomixed_str_len_arg) /names:lowercase '\
>>                    ' /assume:underscore /threads '
>>
>> shouldn't /nodebug only be set if not in debug mode?
>
> I agree.
>
>> The main problems
>> I have with the /iface and /names settings that break some code by me,
>> ie my carefully compiled Atlas/lapack libraries under WinXP.
>
> The rationale is that all supported compilers should behave in
> the same way, that is, lower cases and append underscore to fortran
> symbols. Different compilers may behave differently in this respect and
> with additional switches one can "tune" a compiler as needed.
> Earlier compaq_visual_fortran_compiler did not follow this
> convention and hence the changes. Sorry that it broke some of your
> codes and I hope it is not too much trouble for you to fix them.

But do you do with Third party delivered libraries you want to
wrap. We have a set of huge libraries where we can't compile of our
own. From time to time we need/have fortran wrapper around these
libraries that then need to be wrapped for python. These Fortran
wrapper are only needed for the Python wrapper and as such are
compiled as library unsing distutils. Would it be possible to provide
a mechanism to allow user defined settings for the "switches" to make
the libraries work?

Kind regards

Berthold Höllmann
--
Germanischer Lloyd AG
CAE Development
e-mail: hoel at gl-group.com
Internet: http://www.gl-group.com

Please notice: We would like to inform you that the e-mail address of Germanischer Lloyd as well as our internet address had been changed to  gl-group.com with effect from 1st March 2003.

This means that the previous address shortmark at germanlloyd.org will be replaced by shortmark at gl-group.com. From now on the GL homepage can be accessed at the address 'http://www.gl-group.com'. The old addresses remain valid for a transitional period.

This e-mail contains confidential information for the exclusive attention of the intended addressee. Any access of third parties to this e-mail is unauthorised. Any use of this e-mail by unintended recipients such as copying, distribution, disclosure etc. is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our clients the content of this e-mail is subject to the General Terms and Conditions of GL's Group of Companies applicable at the date of this e-mail.

GL's Group of Companies does not warrant and/or guarantee that this message at the moment of receipt is authentic, correct and its communication free of errors, interruption etc.