[SciPy-dev] Re: [f2py] Debian packages of scipy and f2py

Pearu Peterson pearu at scipy.org
Thu Aug 7 04:47:32 EDT 2003

[Sorry for a delayed response.]

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, [iso-8859-15] José Fonseca wrote:

> I've make Debian packages of scipy and f2py. They are available from my
> apt-get repository at:
>
>   http://jrfonseca.dyndns.org/debian/
>
> I referred to Joe Reinhardt's packages http://people.debian.org/~jmr/
> but have done these packages from scratch. These come for all python
> versions in debian unstable (2.1, 2.2 and 2.3).

Great!

> I've run the standard tests successfully but I'd appreciate that
> problems with these packages to be reported to me [privately] as I'd
> like to have these on Debian proper at some time.
>
> One tricky issue I'd like to address with the scipy and f2py maintainers
> is the the scipy_distutils. Both scipy and f2py attempt to install to
> /usr/lib/python*/site-packages/scipy_distutils and at least on Debian
> this is not admissible so the packages conflict with each other and are
> mutually exclusive. This is particularly even more annoying for me,
> since for building scipy f2py is needed, so I need to install and
> uninstall them as a maniac. Is there any solution that allow both these
> packages to happily co-exist in a tree without overlapping?

This is a long lasting issue and several solutions have been proposed, see
scipy mailing archives.

The current solution for package installation of scipy,f2py,etc
would be the following:

1) Get scipy,f2py and their dependencies from CVS:

  export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous at scipy.org:/home/cvsroot
  cvs co scipy_core
  cvs co -d scipy world/scipy

  export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous at cens.ioc.ee:/home/cvs
  cvs co f2py2e

2) Disable chaco (for simplicity), scipy_core packages in
scipy/setup.py file by commenting out the following lines:

  separate_packages += core_packages
  separate_packages += chaco_packages

3) Disable scipy_distutils checkout in f2py2e/setup.py file by replacing
the line

  if 'sdist' in sys.argv and not os.path.exists('other/scipy_distutils'):

with

  if 0:

4) Create source tar-balls

  cd scipy_core
  python setup.py sdist
  cp dist/Scipy_core-*.tar.gz ..
  cd ..

  cd f2py2e
  cp dist/F2PY-*.tar.gz ..
  cd ..

  cd scipy
  python setup.py sdist
  cp dist/SciPy-*.tar.gz ..
  cd ..

5) Install scipy_core, f2py2e, scipy in the given order (now there are no
overlaps in software installations):

  Unpack tar-ball sources.

  cd Scipy_core-*
  python setup.py install
  cd ..

  cd F2PY-*
  python setup.py install
  cd ..

  cd SciPy-*
  python setup.py install
  cd ..

Let us know if such an approach is acceptable for debianizing scipy,f2py
then we can consider simplifying steps 1-3).
Other suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
	Pearu