[SciPy-dev] zeta domain error?

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Fri Sep 20 14:47:25 EDT 2002

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Skip Montanaro wrote:

> I'm trying to narrow down the source of a Python core dump during
> scipy.test() under Solaris 8.  When I import scipy I get
>
>     /home/skip/tmp/sunos5/2.1/lib/python2.1/site-packages/scipy/linalg/lapack.py:24: UserWarning: exceptions.ImportError: No module named clapack
>       warnings.warn(clapack.__doc__)
>     exceptions.ImportError: No module named cblas
>
>     zeta domain error
>
> I assume the cblas bit is due to not having atlas available.  What is "zeta
> domain error"?  Should it bother me?

Others have shown this error.  I'm not sure exactly where it comes from,
but I suspect it comes from stats/distributions.py
where a constant is set _ZETA3 = special.zeta(3,1) on a module scope level
(and therefore executed on import).   Your zeta functions
looks like it's behvaing erratically.

You could try:

special.zeta(3,1) to see what you get

If it's not working, it will just mean that the zeta function doesn't
work, which won't break all of scipy --- though I'd like to figure out
why it's giving this error.

-Travis O.